[Dixielandjazz] Selling Dixieland CDs - Where are the people?

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 29 08:08:18 PST 2004

on 12/29/04 1:28 AM, Russ Guarino at russg at redshift.com wrote:

> Remember,
>
> the ad rates are not for music or OKOM.  They are for any product.  What is
> apparent for one age group as opposed to another would probably not apply to a
> Dixieland CD.  The ad for the older age group would probably produce more OKOM
> CD sales irrespective of  lower ad cost.
>
> If someone had the $$$, it might be interesting to run some test ads.

Hi Russ & Listmates:

Why wouldn't CDs fall into that same basket of consumer spending habits?
Speaking from my limited CD experience with general audiences, the bulk of
my CDs are sold to folks under 70. Most are sold to folks in their 40s and
50s who no doubt give them to their parents as gifts. . . but the sales are
still to the folks who have the money. However, either way, it would seem as
if Dixieland CDs are sold via AARP Magazine.

Those Dixieland CD ads in AARP Magazine have been running for at least a
year. Same for the 40s/WW2 music CD ads. Ergo, the folks running those ads
must be selling a fair amount of product

I think perhaps Wiggins and I might be persuaded to check out the
feasibility of a marketing program and run such ads if all of the Dixieland
Bands on the DJML would agree send a 1000 CDs to our local fulfillment
house, freight paid, on consignment.

Who knows, Wiggbone Dixieland Enterprises could become the Jazz Jerry of the
AARP circuit. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone