[Dixielandjazz] Re: Audience etiquette

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Dec 20 10:39:27 PST 2004

In a message dated 12/20/04 9:43:32 AM Pacific Standard Time,
csuhor at zebra.net writes:

> Bottom line, I think we can celebrate truly responsive audiences, from
> the noisy ones at social events to the quiet ones in concert halls;
> tolerate, up to a point, audiences that talk a bit too loud in "mixed"
> social/concert settings like restaurants and certain jazz clubs; and
> appreciate the fact that there's an ongoing serious conversation about
> jazz among musicians, critics, musicologists, researchers, and others.
> Sometimes the talk gets pretentious and wrongheaded, but if we kick off
> our shoes, that be part of the fun.
>
> Charlie Suhor

Once again most of us on this thread are correct, and have brought out many
elements of what makes this business so much fun and also hard work, as
professional players we need to know all of these things to be in the position to
adapt to the surroundings and ply our Trade or Profession as we would best like
to do so.

If you find a niche that works well for you and your style of music then by
all means fill it, enjoy it and do it well for as long as you can make it work
and pay you for doing so.

If you ask the correct questions (or any questions at all) before accepting
the gig you can avoid many of the pitfalls by understanding the situation and
knowing that it is not the right gig for you and what your act presents, unless
you are of the mindset and have the capability of changing to fit the
situation without getting a Jazzer attitude and bitching all during the gig about
what a lousy gig it is.  All gigs usually turn out to be what we make them, GOOD
or BAD.

I have often been out on tour with some very Serious Jazz Players laying down
their most serious stuff to impress all the musos and Jazz Literati and
Critics, and when they finished they want to go off and find a noisy crowded sweaty
loud joint and sit in and play some raucous jazz bebop or Blues and rock.

I think we can fix most of it with simple ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT, and have a
good time anywhere we play.  It works for me, But I admit it is sometimes
interesting and even Hellish to MAKE THE BEST OF A BAD SITUATION,  :))

The worst Gigs I ever played many years ago,  was a couple that had NO
audience!  :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins