[Dixielandjazz] Why musicians don't talk to fans

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Tue Dec 14 10:02:04 PST 2004

When I was in the AF band there was this guy we called Bob the Ape  (APe for
Air Police).  Bob was a fan of Jazz and had an encyclopedic knowledge of
everyone who ever made a Jazz record and everyone in their band and
everything about them.  His conversation was limited to only Jazz and his
recordings.  His conversation was interspersed with long litanies of who
played what and when and often with the recording company and number of the
record.  To make it worse he always got assigned to our gigs or would show
up somehow.  He had an undying hero worship for us and became to us a jazz
stalker that we couldn't shake.

My knowledge of Jazz musicians and recordings is I guess about average but
nothing compared to his so there was nothing I could have ever added to a
conversation since he wasn't a musician.  So we in the band would have to
more or less politely stand there and listen to him play his memory tape for
what ever time we were on break or setting up or tearing down.  This wasn't
limited to just gigs but when we saw him in the BX or anywhere on base or at
the gate we would get "say have you heard ....."  The Guys in the band after
awhile avoided him like the plague and Bob while a fairly nice person became
the butt of many jokes and outright rudeness from some of the players. on
the other hand Bob just couldn't see why the musicians treated him that way.

I suspect there will always be a gap between the musician and the fans
because we are coming at the art from different perspectives.

I try to be very polite to people because you don't know when that person
will be the employer or will give your name to someone who will hire you.  I
make it my business to talk to at least the people who are setting close to
the band.  They love it and good PR will never hurt you but then again
that's from the band leader, business point of view.  Sidemen don't
necessarily share that point of view.