[Dixielandjazz] Why musicians don't talk to fans - and/or listentoother band

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 08:36:45 PST 2004

Hi all,

I've found that while conversing with star players, it's refreshing to talk
about something other than music, whether it's sports or the weather or some
mutual extra-curricular interest.  You'll often get to know more about the
person behind the "musician," and have a far more interesting and genuine
conversation.

I think, also, that some people are uncomfortable hearing praise.  I've
noticed some players appear embarassed on a set break when there's a crowd
gathered around them saying, "wow, that solo was great, etc. etc."  Because
of that, some people come off as stand-offish when they're simply
uncomfortable.

As far as asking questions regarding particular historical info, discography
stuff etc., sometimes people simply don't remember.  I think that die-hard
fans know more about data like that than most of the musicians who played
the dates!

This is not to condone rude behavior on the part of artists.  However, in
fairness, I have witnessed, many times, overly eager and nervous fans who
try to prolong their star encounter well beyond the boundaries of
politeness.  I'm sure it's not fun for a musician trying to take a break to
have an over-zealous fan forcing themselves upon him.  If it seems an artist
doesn't want to converse, but a fan feels the need to say something, "I
really enjoyed the set," and perhaps a handshake should suffice.

All the best,
Rob McCallum