[Dixielandjazz] Why musicians don't talk to fans - and/or listen toother bands

Arnold Day arnieday at optonline.net
Tue Dec 14 07:44:57 PST 2004

I recognise all those good point, Steve, but there is no excuse for the downright rude behaviour of a handful of top OKOM players, "Good morning Mr, X, thanks for the great music. Do you mind if I ask you a question? You made an LP with Y and Z sometime in the 1960s but there is no recording date on the cover. Do you happen to remember when that was recorded?" Answer...."Go find a good discography"....walks off without a smile!

Now, one the greatest communicators was Jimmy McPartland. He would work the room like a comedian, usually with an armful of LPs of him or his then ex-wife, hawking them like a street newspaper seller.  He would sit and chat with anyone during the breaks or after the show. He loved his audiences. Not the greatest jazz trumpeter of all time, but a wonderful, warm gentleman.
Arnie