[Dixielandjazz] Maybe it's just symantics but.....

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Dec 13 21:58:44 PST 2004

In a message dated 12/13/04 9:27:19 PM, GWW174 at aol.com writes:

> No wonder festivals and other business owners operate in fear of the BoE.
> Just try and figure the logic of making a festival responsible to collect
> sales
> taxe from "others" who may be selling things while attending/performing at
> your event ?   Go figure that one out.
>
> Arguing anything with the BoE just makes for richer lawyers.
>
> Gordon of Northridge

Yes, Gordon    they will do that and even more if you roll over and let them
do it, but even they can be AVOIDED IF YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH AND learn how to
do so.    If all of the Bands, Food vendors, Mardi Gras Bead sellers, and any
other vendor selling merchandise to the consumer is indeed an independent
contractor then they are also responsible to the BofE directly and not to the
Jubilee or any other festival at which they sell merchandise to the consumer.
They should be handed their information package upon arrival which included
their reseller's temporary permit that they are to comply with and pay the sales
tax from legitimate Sales to consumers at retail price + tax.

I never mess with them and I also do not mess with the consumer trying to add
on the stupid tax, if the price of the Cd is $15.00 it is all inclusive, and
I pay the damned tax, if I elect to sell the Cds for $10.00   I still pay the
tax.   KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID SYSTEM for the consumer and you sell many more
CDs.    They cost me $1.00 each why should I be GREEDY AS WELL.    No different
than buying a Car from a dealer that Swears he will sell it to you for $1.00
over his invoice.    I might add that in all the years I have sold merchandise
at public events I have also NEVER HAD ONE CHECK NOT CASHED OR RETURNED OR
BEEN AUDITED BY THEM.    THEY ARE LAZY AND TAKE EVERY DOLLAR ANYBODY ROLLS OVER
AND SENDS THEM.    I do not reccommend however cheating them as it is just not
prudent and the problems you can get from them are terrible as you say.

If every other band at a festival claimed they sold   300 Cds and you turned
in a report that said you only sold twenty you could be audited the next time
you play that event.   Unless of course you could and are prepared to prove
that you are A REALLY   REALLY BAD BAND. :))   And prove to them that nobody
buys your CDs. :))

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins