[Dixielandjazz] OKOM Bands - How Stupid Can We Be?

Zenith Sydney zenith at ans.com.au
Mon Dec 13 14:33:02 PST 2004

Hi All,

I basically agree with Judy but suggest a polite compromise solution here,
:) which we adopt at most jazz festivals.  As well as about six local
festivals in OZ we also played at jazz festivals in UK, Belgium, Holland and
Germany this year and have been doing this for about 15 years (We have 11
CDs out - please visit our website).  Our experience dictates that most
(larger) European festivals have a "sales" clause in their contracts.
Therefore, we always provide a few CDs to be sold by the organisers BUT also
sell direct from the stand as well.

I remember on this list suggesting Steve B get a CD out, he did so and we
both swapped CDs as well.  I suppose Steve is basically quoting USA
experience, but we certainly sold out at Portland Oregon a couple of years
ago and this included sales from the stand plus sales also by Jan Scobie.
IMHO the more selling points one has, the better.  We both know that most
sales are from impulse buying, but don't tell festival organisers that.
Like Judy, we are happy to pay a cut but refuse to jeopardise our own sales
from the stand, especially when the festival organisers sales points are
some distance from the stage or some shopping mall record shop remote from
the action.  However, I know there are a few festival organisers on this
list and I would like to have their comments, experience and reasoning on
this important matter of CDs sales.  When touring this money is essential
pocket money for our group since we have to travel the longest distance to
most events.

Cheers,
Tom (one per minute average CD sales during most concerts/festivals) Wood
www.sydneyzenith.com