[Dixielandjazz] New Venue Question

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 6 17:59:21 PST 2004

on 12/6/04 5:02 PM, ALSINGERPRESENTS at aol.com at ALSINGERPRESENTS at aol.com
wrote:

Steve....please " smooth jazz "has now been OFFICIALLY   listed as the  #1
oxymoron of the 21st Century  by the OXYMORON  SOCIETY   of THE  WORLD.
Genuine jazz,  of whatever  genre, is  a  far better  bet!    If my remark
elicits controversy I will  be disapointed if anybody in this list defends
the notion that smooth IS jazz. Yes ,I know that it might "draw" a bigger
crowd but so what! A bunch of male strippers would likely do as well!!
al  singer

Ha Ha. Makes no difference to me how one defines, or what one thinks of
"smooth jazz". I was just suggesting a type of music and/or headliner that
would fill the Scottish Rite Cathedral in St Louis for Larry. Oxymoron or
not, IMO more people know what "smooth jazz" means then know what "trad
jazz" means.

I thought Larry's bottom line was to draw a bigger crowd and make money for
the venue. Larry, if you want a smaller crowd and want to lose money, get
some of those "artsy OKOM bands." that play all the obscure old songs that
weren't any good the first time around either. :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve