[Dixielandjazz] The New Orleans Jazz Festivals

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 6 13:58:41 PST 2004

Jeez, here are complaining that musicians don't make any money, yet bitching
because we can't see jazz in New Orleans for absolutely nothing. We might
have to spend $5 to buy a drink in order to pee. Or we might have to spend
money on a hotel room. Or travel money to get there.

Woo Wee. What's wrong with that picture?

In 1950 I used to spend $20 on a date in NYC for us to hear some jazz by
some competent players. That would be like $150 today.

Hey folks. loosen up you wallets, and your minds, if you expect the music to
be played by competent musicians.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. In New Orleans, go to the Palm Cafe in the 1200 block of Decatur Street,
where George Buck and his wife hold court. Authentic Trad Jazz, great
records for sale and George knows as much about the music as anybody alive
today. Plus there is a certain cachet. The doorman usually wears a gun and
you might want to take a cab there at night, and or travel in a group.

It is also a restaurant so go early and have dinner. They serve good food at
a REASONABLE PRICE. Check for hours, I think they are dark Mon & Tue.