[Dixielandjazz] Big Bands

Beth Villanyi bethv at portafortuna.com
Fri Dec 3 16:09:27 PST 2004

What's wrong with liking both? I can't sit still when either are playing -
either have to be dancing in my chair or on the dance floor. BUT - the
current definition of Big Band is slightly different from what I like. I
love the 40's style - Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Harry James,
the Dorseys, etc.

And like Steve Martin said, "You can't listen to the banjo and be unhappy."
I say the same for all of Dixieland music.

What I can't stand is the new big band style that is so loud with overblown
brass similar to Doc Severnsen. I heard a band called Sessions Big Band in
St. Louis last year at a little bar near Busch Stadium. The band was good
musically, but they had 5 of everything, used mics, and played in a bar that
was long and narrow. I felt like the guy in the commercial whose hair is
blown back by the sound coming from his TV. We couldn't stay for more than
one set and all had headaches when we emerged from the din.

Beth