[Dixielandjazz] Big Bands

Charlie Hull charlie at easysounds.com
Sat Dec 4 08:03:53 PST 2004

Hi, Beth et al

You pushed my button with your comment about the new 'big bands'.  My gripe
is new arrange of the good old arrangements.

The writers include enough of the pattern and gist of the classic
arrangements (Glenn Miller, Artie Shaw, Louis Prima, etc.) that you can
recognized what it was, but the playing and sound treatment is
heartbreaking.  Sustained max-level guitar bass instead of bass viol.
Klutzy solos by players who have no concept of swing.  And worst of all,
mastering using compression that raises ALL the sound to the highest level
that won't burn holes in the CD.  I haven't looked lately; Is 'dynamics'
still in the dictionary?

I now carry Kleenex at all times in case I'm trapped into hearing one of
these 'updated' versions of the really great big band arrangements.

Thanks for the ear time.

Charlie Hull