[Dixielandjazz] Re: So bad it must be shared.......

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Thu Dec 2 11:01:42 PST 2004

It's possible that some of us have more fingers to count on?  Now that's a
possibility.  The other possibility is that I haven't a clue but we do it.

Those that get so tied up into the theory or printed page rarely make good
improvising musicians.  Just what is the difference between the Dixie
musician and the Symphonic musician.  Often it's the need to be perfect to
play the notes like a sound reproducing device  over and over.  The jazz
musician creates on the fly like a kaleidoscope creates patterns.  The two
are just not really compatible.  I have to really work at my reading skills
but I can just pick up a horn and do it with jazz.

In Jazz you are the composer, arranger, and performer all in one.  At the
other end of the spectrum you have the performer only who subjugates himself
to an all knowing conductor following his rules and interpretation and at
the same time both are subjugating themselves to the composer/arranger.
It's the same difference between dictatorship and freedom.  I think this is
why I had trouble with the symphonic experience.  I majored on Oboe in
college and got pretty good on it and played with the local Symphony orch
and constantly argued with the conductors.  Usually silently but argued with
them never the less.  I think classical training is good but I enjoy improv
on a whole different plane.  I was a square peg in a round hole so to speak.