[Dixielandjazz] Labor Day Weekend: Go hear some live music!

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Thu Aug 26 17:26:02 PDT 2004

From: "Beth Villanyi" <bethv at portafortuna.com>
... (Sneaking back in my lurker's closet to finish up the last minute
details for the Vintage Jazz Festival)...

Hi, everyone,

In California, Labor Day Weekend (a rare, 3-day holiday) offers too many
great jazz events to choose from. They'll need an audience; therefore, I'd
like to humbly request that everyone--if you possibly can--get out to hear
live music and support one of these events from Sept. 3-6.

In Northern CA, there's the WINE COUNTRY VINTAGE JAZZ FESTIVAL that Beth
Villanyi is working on and which has a really great lineup for their "25th
Anniversary Extravaganza." That takes place at the  Double Tree Hotel,
Rohnert Park.

Then in Southern CA, there are two events, not very far apart:
the SWEET & HOT MUSIC FESTIVAL at the L.A. Airport Marriott

and the West Coast Jazz Party further south in Irvine, CA (the latter
including more modern styles and bebop, but with awesome talent).
The Sweet & Hot offers plenty of bands plus quality all-stars carefully
placed together in ensembles from trios to octets.

Please visit their Web sites for more info:

http://www.vintagejazzfestival.org
http://www.sweethot.org
and for the broadminded modernists:
http://www.westcoastjazzparty.com

There will be DJML list mates performing at both the Vintage and the Sweet &
Hot festivals, so there ought to be some plans being made for a Face-2-Face
in both locations.  I'll be at the Sweet & Hot, along with Bob Ringwald,
Paul Edgerton, list moderator/sound engineer Dave Haupt... (and I would
imagine Stan Brager plus a few others). Let me know if you want to possibly
meet Sat. morning or some other time during the weekend.
At the Vintage Festival will be Bob Romans, Bill Gunter, Bob Williams, Art
Terry, Ralph Thompson and others...

We can get out and party-hardy AND support live jazz at the same time.
Love and hugs,
Nancy

P.S. In Denver, there's also the Ralph Sutton Rocky Mountain Jazz Party.
Then in Lenox, MA, there's the Tanglewood Jazz Festival (also more modern).
There's even more listed at Leslie's site for the M. Rag:
http://www.mississippirag.com/festivals.html