[Dixielandjazz] Re: Rakhmaninov's prelude (and more)

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Sun Aug 22 11:46:25 PDT 2004

 DWSI at aol.com writes:

(snip)

> There was an era when it was fashionable to  arrange a classical piece in
> ragtime, some say. I just noted on a great 2 CD  set I have, A Century Of
> Ragtime, 1897--1997, there is a piece  entitled Musical Massacre
apparently composed
> by Mimi Blais and  performed by Willie Eckstein in 1923 in Montreal.

(snip)

Dan,

Am I wrong?  Or, isn't Mimi Blais the lady who is currently from Montreal &
tours, giving Ragtime concerts?  She would not have composed the song in
1923.  She would not even have been alive then.

I suspect that Willie Eckstein was probably the composer in 1923 & your
recording is a current one of Mimi playing the rags?

Mimi was on the tour to Hungary that the Boondockers did in March.  However,
she was off playing concerts in different towns than us so we saw very
little of her.

--Bob
robert at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA USA