[Dixielandjazz] Don Lambert

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Sat Aug 21 20:31:07 PDT 2004

I could not disagree more with the comment that Lambert's Bluebird sides
were "poorly recorded", without any doubt they rank among the greatest
stride piano solos ever to be waxed. It is a pity that they appear to be the
only professionally recorded examples of this phenomenal pianist's playing.

Don Lambert spent a goodly part of his career performing in Frank Wallace's
bar in West Orange, New Jersey (where he used to play "Tea For Two" every
night!). Fortunately some material from these sessions was preserved on home
tape and wire machines by his fans, indeed Wallace himself recorded some of
it. The audio quality is dreadful nevertheless the music is simply
breathtaking.

Harvey Ballance, a parish priest from Montclair NJ, owns some of these tapes
which he committed to CD a while ago. I do not have any contact information
for Harvey but if you can track him down I am sure that he would let you
have copies. Additionally Mike Lipskin, a well known stride pianist
currently living and playing in San Francisco, knew Lambert well and also
has some privately recorded tapes which he plans to release on CD in due
course - I've been chasing Mike for years to complete the project before I
kick the bucket.

John Farrell