[Dixielandjazz] Re: Donald Lambert (was Rakhmaninov's prelude)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Aug 21 17:05:27 PDT 2004

Dear Arn,
I have never understood Richard Richter's comment on the 1976 IAJRC-23 LP
"Meet The Lamb" that the 30 Jan 1941 Don Lambert Bluebird sides ("Pilgrim's
Progress/Anitra's Dance/Elegie/Sextette" were "poorly recorded".
I have had the  French RCA 741 118/119 LP 'Harlem Stride Pianists' he cites
since it was released in 1974 and have heard a lot worse.
Maybe I have had, and loved, the sides for too long.
Unfortunately, so far as I know, this is the only reissue of these wonderful
records. I have yet to find them on CD.
Maybe Anton can help.
Like Anton, I was amazed to find that the session has been omitted from the
new 'Rust Jazz and Ragtime Records' discography.
Very kind regards,
Bill.