[Dixielandjazz] Don Lambert

Arnold Day arnieday at optonline.net
Tue Aug 24 16:53:05 PDT 2004

John,

Were the three LPs (Meet The Lamb/Classics In Stride/Harlem Stride Classics)
produced from the private tapes you are referring to? The liner notes on
Meet The Lamb, (which IS from the Wallace Tavern recordings) refer to
"clean, studio-like tapes of over 200 Lambert Solos." Are these the ones now
"owned" by Harvey Ballance and Mike Lipskin?

Incidentally, since this subject came up, I have been transferring my 'Meet
The Lamb' LP to my computer for eventual burning to a CD.
A very interesting discovery is that a lot of the distortion on several of
the tracks is in only one of the stereo channels only (presumably due to a
bad mic or recording head.) In these cases, simply deleting the bad channel
and replacing it with a copy of the audio in the good channel gives an
excellent mono recording. The IAJRC LP (my copy at least) also had a lot of
pressing and equalisation defects which are very easy to correct. It's
amazing what one can do with a modern computer and some pretty low-cost
software that someone like the late John R.T.Davis would have given his
right arm to have available to him. This subject (audio restoration) is
probably  not of much interest to most DJML members. Therefore, anyone
wanting to discuss it further and /or to receive some of the results of my
efforts on the 'Meet The Lamb' tracks is  more than welcome to contact me
off-list. Note:  A 3-minute MP3 160Kbs file is about 4MB in size!
Arn