[Dixielandjazz] Re: WhErE dO wE dRaW tHe LiNe _________________(?)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 18 16:47:06 PDT 2004

Dear friends,
Being very narrow and one-eyed about my jazz, I have decided not to get
involved in this thread.
However, to answer Charlie's comment "I would love to hear what Pee-Wee and
the Condon regulars would have done to, let's say, the Beatles????"
So would I.
However, if the last Condon record dates for Columbia in Jan and Sept 1962
can be used as a guide then I think we may have been disappointed.
Listen to "Midnight in Moscow, Meadowlands, Dark Eyes, Theme from Swan Lake,
Londonerry Air, La Vie En Rose, Loch Lomond, Baby Elephant Walk, Over and
Over Again and Circus on Parade".
Nothing wrong with the musicians. Bobby Hackett, Lou McGarity, Peanuts
Hucko, Dick Cary, Condon, Jack Lesberg and Buzzy Drootin for the Jan date.
And for the Sept session Cutty Cutshall, John Mortillaro and George Wettling
replace McGarity, Cary and Drootin.
I LOVE the Condon bands, but felt let down by these two bland LPs, with
their concession to some then popular material.
They were not supervised by George Avakian. Maybe that is the problem.
The stuff are available in a Condon Mosaic set.
I have nothing against playing Beatle's songs and, in fact, our band has
included several over the years.
Very kind regards,
Bill.