[Dixielandjazz] WhErE dO wE dRaW tHe LiNe _________________(?)

john petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Aug 18 14:58:25 PDT 2004

Charlie said
>I would love to hear what Pee-Wee and the Condon regulars would have done
to, let's say, the Beatles????     If it has a recognizable melody, chord
structure and time signature, (not 5/8 or 9/16) it can be given a jazz
>interpretation.
I guess Condon and Pee wee would have made a good job of Michelle or When
I'm 64. Both those tunes swing. Much of the so called great tunes from the
rock era do not. The essence of Dixieland or traditional jazz is 4/4 or 2/4
swing and it does not work otherwise. (Ok someone will throw creole time or
3/4 into the equation - but I have always felt this to be a poor second to
proper straight ahead swinging).

>But I just finished listening to an MP3 CD of 12 Eddie Condon 1944 Town
>Hall concerts
These are essential listening for anyone who is serious about the music. All
the rhythm sections swing like the clappers, and the horns have plenty to
say, especially Pee Wee.

John Petters
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ
www.traditional-jazz.com