[Dixielandjazz] RE: RE: Re:WHERE DO WE DRAW THE OKOM LINE?

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 10:27:14 PDT 2004

John Petters wrote:

>>The current crop of young 'so called' jazz stars suffer a similar fate. I
>>have watched Jamie Culham and wondered how he gets away with such poor
>>pitching. I also notice how uncomfortable he appears to be with a swinging
>>4/4 rhythm and how he tries to get into a rock or latin beat as often and
>>as
>>quickly as he can. Much of it must come back to roots. An exception to
>>this is Diana Kral, who has a good voice, a good feel and
>>swings, although I believe she may be moving towards more pop orientated
>>material - pity.

Jamie Cullum has a big, sloppy voice, and he's kind of a ham-fisted piano
player, but he beats Rod Stewart.  I loved Diana Krall's CDs until the
current one,
"The Girl in the Other Room," where she sings some originals and some
material
written by her husband, the rock-n-roller Elvis Costello.  Talk about
self-indulgent
drivel!  I also don't think much of the arrangements -- they sound
mechanical,
to my ear.  She's an excellent pianist, but on the current CD she gives
herself
no opportunity to shine, relying on the hackneyed chords-on-the-beat
accompaniment favored by so many untalented rock chicks.  But check out her
last CD -- "Live in Paris" -- and you'll hear as good a version of "Deed I
Do" as
any other I can think of... particularly effective is her vocal entrance
after the
excellent instrumental solos.

Ed Danielson