[Dixielandjazz] CDs to Brazil & Where Do We Draw The Line

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 17 10:38:59 PDT 2004

As Kash says, I think many bands get a lot of requests like the one from
Carlos in Brazil.

But I also think, as Brian Harvey says, that most Jazz Radio stations
have very limited budgets, if any,. so I am happy to take a chance that
it might not be a scam. I will always send CDs to them.  Like the three
University Jazz stations in my area. No budgets, volunteer unpaid DJs,
etc. I have gotten numerous gigs here because they play our CDs locally,
and have also gotten 6 gigs or so here in Philadelphia in the past two
years because people in Seattle, Chicago and Columbus heard us on
distant radio stations there, that received free CDs from me. They were
either getting married, or throwing a party here. A great return for
such little effort.

What's the worst that can happen? That somebody got a free CD? If one
out of 5 are legit, you are way ahead. Plus, it makes an old man (me)
feel good that just maybe, I've done something worthwhile. The Brazil
CDs will probably never get me a gig, but so what? Our band mission is
"To expand the audience for Dixieland" and this is our way of walking
the walk, not just talking the talk.

Dan Spink asks, Where do we draw the line on "OKOM? I'm with Pat Cooke.
Why does there have to be a line? Especially one that no two people can
agree on. Why try and put OKOM in a neat little box that then restricts
it? If we must define it, then perhaps the broadest definition is the
best. Like "trad jazz, or OKOM, or Dixieland is for the most part, small
band polyphonic counterpoint." But then, even that restricts it so as
not to include the music of Gershwin, Kern, Rodgers, McHugh, Mancini,
Mandel, et al,, or big band swing, which many of us seem to agree is
OKOM when played or sung by anything from a duo to an 18 piece orchestra.

It is all jazz, and as Louis Armstrong said, "Jazz is what YOU are." So
it may not be Our Kind Of Music, but rather Your Kind of Music. As Mike
Marois said, the Dukes did it with more modern tunes, but there are many
ways to update the music/presentation and make it relevant to the youth
market. Shame on us if we do not do so.

Are we "Jazz" fans, or are we "segmented jazz" fans? Seems to me the
total audience has many different ideas as do most of us on the List.
Like the guy who wrote a letter printed in the current American Rag. He
didn't think there was enough trad jazz at the Sacramento Jubilee. What?
with about 30 Dixieland Bands there? Is he serious? That's more
Dixieland than any other festival in the USA even though there are
alternative music forms also.

Personally, I will be glad when the last of the Dixieland literati  are
gone and the music goes back to the musicians and the dancers. Aren't
others sick and tired of a small group of self appointed experts telling
the musicians:

a) What is or is not Dixieland.
b) What the instrumentation should be.
c) What tunes should be played.
d) How bands should dress.
e) That the music is for listening only so, audience, shut up and don't
dance.
f) Whether or not your concept is valid and your band is playing jazz.
g) How the music should be arranged.

Etc., etc., etc.

I only hope I outlive those few experts who are left and can still play
jazz as it was meant to be. IMO it is the music of FREEDOM, and should
be done any way the band/musician wants. Like Chuck Hedges was quoted in
a recent article: "I hate playing someone else's licks." Hear, hear.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone