[Dixielandjazz] Radio station budgets

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Tue Aug 17 09:59:50 PDT 2004

A lot depends upon the type of music played by the station and the music
played by a particular show. When I had a show on a public radio station,
the station played mostly modern jazz. My show featured early jazz and
contemporary New Orleans styles of music.  The station had a few CD's of
early jazz but the bulk (99 %) of the music came from my own collection.

The station purchased CD's from the major companies at greatly reduced
prices for the bulk of their shows. The hosts with niche shows such as mine
had to fend for themselves. I found that I could order CD's for my show
through the station at these same reduced prices. However, I also paid for
these out of my own pocket (my own choice).

I also used the small stipend from the station to reinvest in CD's so that I
could now purchase music especially for the show although I would not have
bought some of the CD's for my own collection. One example was a CD
featuring pianist Porter Grainger.

Many companies and musicians were quite generous and would send me copies of
their recordings gratis. Mat Domber's Arbors label was excellent about this.
When the Northridge quake made access to Bob Ringwald's recordings
impossible (the building where they were stored was off-limits), Arbors was
one of the first companies to respond with CD's for Bob's show. Other
companies also followed suit.

Several small companies would also allow me to buy their recordings directly
at low prices.

These experiences are from 2 different stations both in the Los Angeles
metro area. Your experience may differ.

Stan