[Dixielandjazz] Radio station budgets

Brian Harvey brer.rabbit at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 06:26:42 PDT 2004

Jim said......
Uh, I get those kind of requests all the time!  I don't respond.  Seems to
me a radio program should have some kind of budget to get their music.
Dunno...always sounds a bit of a scam to me.

It might sound that way but in my own experience you first have to persuade
the station to give you a show and then locate your own records. And there's
no pay! No budget - just getting the show on air is alone a major effort.
For me this all means initially using my own collection which is fine as far
as it goes. If your aim is to publicise the music, new and existing bands
then if you have no budget all you can do is ask bands and labels to pitch
in and help. For me they have in general been great and we now have a show
up and running - http://www.euroclubdejazz.com/jazznet/jazznet2472c.htm -
with a wealth of material both new and old to choose from.
And I am not alone - I know of a public radio station in Wales (that's part
of the UK) with a regular jazz show who pay their presenter zilch. He - like
me - does it for love of the music. Jim is too hard on us and if he persists
in his attitude then his band will probably never be heard other than at
live gigs and that's sad. If he has any faith in his music he should be
prepared to do some promotion via the jazz DJs.
Brian Harvey