[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Society Marketing Consultant

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Aug 9 19:33:24 PDT 2004

willc at highstream.net writes:

> Rae Ann, Dan and Gang -
> If Rae Ann''s right, the society fell into the hands of idiots.  It took
> a considerable effort (but not that much money at the time) to obtain
> the tax exempt IRS 501(c)(3) not-for-profit status that. in later years
> involved an application  fee to the IRS of well over a thousand dollars.
> Whoever ran AFJS should have offered control the corporation to jazzers
> as responsible and dedicated as the founders, because starting from
> scrath is a challenge I can't imagine anyone today wanting to tackle.   .
> I personally wrote and prosecuted the applications that made the Hot
> Jazz and Alligator Gumbo Society and the Irish American Cultural Center
> 501(c)(3) organizations, and it was a  bitch  avoiding the traps that
> lay in the Internal Revenue code. I wouldnt care to do it again, and
> emphatically not as a volunteer!
> Kindly
> Will Connelly

Well for what it's worth, I happento agree with Will on this one,

And I know a couple of Marketing Consultant Experts on this list that would
be happy to take it over and turn it around and make it a viable organization
if we could find them and convince them to do what you are supposed to do with
a 501 C-3 organization  give it over to another one or at least invite others
to take it over and operate it.

It would indeed be interesting to know how to get in touch with these silly
folks to see if we could undo the damage they have possibly already done.

I would however venture to guess that the demise of the organization came
from the lack of willingness of the individual Jazz Societies to work together
for everyone and Jazz's benefit , tis unfortunately the way of many Non profit
organizations,  All or nothing at all, our way or no way.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins