[Dixielandjazz] BeBop Banjos was straight ahead banjos

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 9 20:28:48 PDT 2004

Steve writes (regarding banjois Bela Fleck):

>. . . I would add that banjoist Steven Debonaventura in Media PA will play
>bebop on banjo if asked. He is a virtuoso player who does songs like
>Charlie Parker's "Confirmation" in swinging up tempo format., as well as
>the usual Dixieland book of 500 tunes or so. And if you bring the music,
>he'll sight read anything you want from Mahler to Monk.

I'm not sure about Debonaventure, but Fleck plays a 5-string banjo, which is
decidedly different than a plectrum or tenor banjo in playing technique and
style. The 5 string has a unique sound which really can't be duplicated (at
least not closely) on the plectrum.

Cheers,

Bill "Haul it out and twang it" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com