[Dixielandjazz] Audience Perception

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 9 16:11:10 PDT 2004

  No doubt it is hard to believe what I write about young audiences and
OKOM. OK, so ask the person who wrote this to me today. Remember, she's
talking about a Dixieland Jazz Band whose members are old geezers,
average age 70.

"Dear Steve"

"Thanks so much.  I really enjoyed the weekend.  It is simply amazing
how your music crosses all age groups.  It is clearly a demonstration of
the respect for the music and players in your group.  You have done a
great thing."

"Sydney"

Sydney is Ms. Sydney Arzt, the owner of Sydney's Jazz and Blues
Restaurant in Rehoboth DE where we had that great happy birthday Louis
Armstrong weekend. we have appeared there 3 time a year for the past 3
years. Would do it more, except it is an double overnighter for us and
we're not wild about traveling gigs unless they are for people who we
love, like her. She may be reached, where the action is, at:

Ms. Sydney Arzt
Sydney's Jazz & Blues Restaurant
25 Christian Street
Rehoboth Beach, DE USA 19971
SYDSBLUES at aol.com
302-227-1339

Ever musician who comes in contact with Sydney admires her. She has
presented jazz or blues 6 nights a week in summer and 3 nights in winter
for the past 21 years or so in Rehoboth. In a restaurant, night club
setting. That is certainly an accomplishment to be admired.

She's in her 60s and we do not look forward to the day she retires, for
who will replace her? Just as we need a new audience for the music, so
too do we need a new generation of presenters, club owners and others
who are willing to put their money where their mouths are and act
accordingly.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Why the hell doesn't every trad jazz band in the world have a gig
that celebrates Louis Armstrong's Birthday every August? What holds us
back other than ourselves?