[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Society Marketing Consultant

Will Connelly willc at highstream.net
Mon Aug 9 18:35:24 PDT 2004

Rae Ann, Dan and Gang -
If Rae Ann''s right, the society fell into the hands of idiots.  It took
a considerable effort (but not that much money at the time) to obtain
the tax exempt IRS 501(c)(3) not-for-profit status that. in later years
involved an application  fee to the IRS of well over a thousand dollars.
Whoever ran AFJS should have offered control the corporation to jazzers
as responsible and dedicated as the founders, because starting from
scrath is a challenge I can't imagine anyone today wanting to tackle.   .
I personally wrote and prosecuted the applications that made the Hot
Jazz and Alligator Gumbo Society and the Irish American Cultural Center
501(c)(3) organizations, and it was a  bitch  avoiding the traps that
lay in the Internal Revenue code. I wouldnt care to do it again, and
emphatically not as a volunteer!
Kindly
Will Connelly