[Dixielandjazz] Straight-ahead? trad?

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Fri Aug 6 14:00:54 PDT 2004

From: "Patrick Cooke" <patcooke at cox.net>
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Straight-ahead? trad?
Nancy....
    This is why I hate to use labels....no two people have the exact same
definition of what they mean.
    I believe straight ahead is more mainstream than trad.  I doubt you will
ever see a banjo in a straight ahead group, not likely a tuba either;
although there are no restrictions or even recommendations for
instrumentation or specific tune titles.
     Pat Cooke

Yes, Pat, not worth debating since people will use words however they will.

Of course, I agree that straight-ahead is more mainstream than trad, but my
range of comparison carries so much further out than what most list mates
might be considering. This is 2004 -- not 1950 or '70 or '90 -- and even
though I do not like to label (what I call) contemporary creative music
"jazz," the younger masses certainly do.  Compared to new forms of jazz
(again, if you can call it that), I most definitely see Dixieland,
straight-ahead, big band, swing (and even some early bop) as a whole nuther
world of jazz, a whole nuther lifetime ago.  Now, is that because I'm 46,
not 64 or 74?  Perhaps (most likely), but I will continue to give what I can
and use what talents I have to contribute to the preservation of trad jazz.
AND I will do so with eyes wide open to what is going on around me.

Love and hugs,
Nancy