[Dixielandjazz] Straight-ahead? trad?

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Fri Aug 6 13:08:50 PDT 2004

>(since I consider straight-ahead
>more trad than modern).

Nancy....
    This is why I hate to use labels....no two people have the exact same
definition of what they mean.
    I believe straight ahead is more mainstream than trad.  I doubt you will
ever see a banjo in a straight ahead group, not likely a tuba either;
although there are no restrictions or even recommendations for
instrumentation or specific tune titles.
     Pat Cooke