[Dixielandjazz] Straight-ahead? trad?

PATRICK LADD pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 8 09:02:21 PDT 2004

 I doubt you will
ever see a banjo in a straight ahead group,>>

This reminded me.  In a museum of musical instruments the other day I saw a
mechanical banjo. It was a cunning contrivance, with 6 levers each with a
ninety degree bend on the end each of which  which plucked one string.

I was interested in the chord changing mechanism and found that each string
was led through a slot cut in the side of a dowel. One on each string at
each fret. When the string was stopped the dowel withdrew into the `neck`,
holding the string solidly down.

A briliant piece of engineering. The question remains, why bother?

Cheers

Pat

---