[Dixielandjazz] Copyright

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 6 06:50:41 PDT 2004

DJMLers--
     What's the current cutoff-year for copyright?  Does anyone
understand the latest government rules on this?  I asked my friend
Jim Bryan about this (he owns and runs one of the best
sheet-music/songbook stores in the country, Alpha Music in Austin),
and he said he wasn't sure what the law was now.  And the non-USA
laws are (of course) different from the European and other-country
laws, aren't they?
     Any (even vague) ideas?  1908?  1929?  Didn't it used to be 28
years from the date of publication, then one renewal for another 28
years?  And wasn't that superceded by life of the composer plus 50
years?  Or not?  Now that i've retired i'm dusting off the brass
arrangements i made in the 1970's of Scott Joplin, Janacek,
Hindemith, etc., and am thinking about trying to get them published.
Thanks.

     Dan