[Dixielandjazz] Festivals & Boiled Frogs

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 5 19:48:19 PDT 2004

Yes, people have performed the boil a frog slowly experiment.

Yes, change the music, I agree with Cee on that one.

No, multi music style festivals are not dying of LA Sweet & Hot is doing
just fine thank you, as are the MANY such festivals in the USA. I
disagree with Cee on that one.

Regarding counting festivals. You have to do a hell of a lot more than
that. How many are multi music style festivals? Like Sacramento. LA
Sweet & Hot, most of the "Jazz Parties" etc. If anyone out there thinks
there are more fans at Dixieland only festivals, get out of the pot
quick, before the water boils. If you think that a Festival is a local
Jazz society event with 200 attendees, get real. The reality is that the
Dixieland only fan base is dying off.

And most bands are not doing anything to replace it. Will the music die?
Of course not. But the venues are sure as hell changing.

And those who talk of sour grapes and bleeping, you have my sympathy as
you need to get a life.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone