[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Society Marketing Consultant

Will Connelly willc at highstream.net
Thu Aug 5 09:28:24 PDT 2004

Dan Augustine wrote:

> Folks--
>     What do you think about a jazz-society hiring a
> marketing-consultant to help promote its concerts?  Is this a good
> idea?  How much should it cost?
>     Would the American Federation of Jazz Societies have information
> or opinions about this?  If not, who would?
>     Surely each jazz-society is not an island entire unto itself,
> reinventing the wheel each time in every town?  But what do you do if
> nobody in the management of the society has experience or expertise in
> this?
>
>     Dan

As I understand it, the AFJS today does nothing but rent mailing lists.
I do not know what the revenues are used for. When I was an officer and
director, along with guys like Norm Vickers and Dave Robinson and Warren
Vache Sr, we had a vision of AFJS being a helluva lot more than that . .
. and, in fact, we wrote and published guides on how to start a jazz
society, how to put on concerts and more. When I put on the national
convention in Fort Lauderdale, I had a speaker from the IRS who revealed
the secrets of being a 501(c)(3)others and the head of the EN music
program to talk about grants.

I would have expected AFJS to lobby congress and the royalty tribunal to
curb the present excesses of ASAP and BIM

, for example.

Kindly,
Will Connelly