[Dixielandjazz] Take 2 -Jazz Society Marketing Consultant

Will Connelly willc at highstream.net
Thu Aug 5 09:38:30 PDT 2004

/The spell checkeer in WP 10 butchered my post. Here's what  it should
have saID.
WC
As I understand it, the AFJS today does nothing but rent mailing lists.
I do not know what the revenues are used for. When I was an officer and
director, along with guys like Norm Vickers and Dave Robinson and Warren
Vache Sr, we had a vision of AFJS being a helluva lot more than that . .
. and, in fact, we wrote and published guides on how to start a jazz
society, how to put on concerts and more. When I put on the national
convention in Fort Lauderdale, I had a speaker from the IRS who revealed
the secrets of being a 501(c)(3), and the head of the NEA music program
to talk about grants.

I would have expected AFJS to lobby congress and the royalty tribunal to
curb the present excesses of ASCAP and BMI, for example.

Kindly,
Will Connelly