[Dixielandjazz] Audiences

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 4 13:16:01 PDT 2004

Dan Augustine asked if audiences are the same state to state, country to
country.

That is a tough question. Probably not totally, but generally, as I see
it, very similar. Basically during the past few years we have played in
New York City, upstate New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware.
Our experience has been that these audiences are almost identical in
likes and dislikes.

BUT, we never go in with a set program that is written in stone. We try
and adapt the presentation to the audience after we visually get an idea
of average age, jazz literati or great unwashed, etc. In short, we check
the demographics of the audience as we perceive them on the spot and try
and adapt the program to please them.

In effect we go in with a list of 150 tunes. I pick 8 or 10 for the
first set (which includes alternates) just prior to the program after
looking at the audience and/or discussing them with the presenting
organization. Then we gauge applause and do the rest of the program
based upon what generated the most positive feedback.

We do more advance planning if it is a Jazz Society, Jazz Festival,
Retirement Home, etc., because we know what turns them on. But if it is
a street festival, general audience gig, concert in the park etc., we
check out the audience when there. E.G., lots of little kids, play WWW
and reference it to Twinkle Twinkle Little Star etc. What we try and do
there is play a song that will appeal to each segment of the audience.
We also book 9 year old Jonathan Russell, whenever possible, if there
are going to be a lot of kids his age in the audience.

One for the old folks, one for the kids, one for the young girls, one
for the jazz heads, etc. And if it is a Louis Armstrong celebration,
like this weekend in Rehoboth, 2 nights at a jazz nightclub, we are sure
to play Hello Dolly, and WWW,   songs that the All Stars made swinging
favorites, yes "Indiana" is obligatory, Shine and Struttin with Some BBQ
and some of his Hot 5 Hot 7 numbers. All in our own style, of course.

It is a little more frightening to some than going in with a set
program, but we find it eminently more satisfying to us and the
audience. And, if a band properly sets the stage for the program, in
effect verbally sets the ground rules for the audience, one can't help
but succeed.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. HAPPY 103RD BIRTHDAY POPS. YOU ARE STILL THE GREATEST.