[Dixielandjazz] Scotch-Irish and Irish Influences in Jazz

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Fri Apr 30 13:00:05 PDT 2004

Dear Listmembers,
                                        It’s good to see mention of the
Scotch-Irish and Irish influence on jazz by Rod McCallum and Don Ingle.
                              The Irish came to New Orleans very early
in the 18th century and by mid-century they were competing with the
Creoles for political power in some Parishes.
                              There is a suggestion that Stalebread
Lacoume who led the Razzy Dazzy Spasm Band in the late 19th Century and
was considered by many to be the inventor of jazz was, despite his
French sounding name, of Irish extraction.
                              Long before that, the music of Don
Ingles’, Rod's ( and my own ) Scotch-Irish Ancestors had begun an
American  folk music tradition that persists in Country Music and
Bluegrass. Along the way it encountered slave music and blended with
it. This blending was to be a significant input into the families of
Ragtime and Jazz
                             At a later stage the Irish parody song,
aimed at Southern Irish immigrants competed for popularity with the
Negro Parody songs on the Minstrel stage.
                            I have dealt with this history in some
detail in my latest book “The Ancestry of Jazz: A Musical Family
History”.

Regards
Dan Hardie

Check out the website: