[Dixielandjazz] Irish/Celtic Influences in Jazz

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu Apr 29 11:46:13 PDT 2004

Irish? -- Quite a few.
Larry Sheilds with ODJB, Joe Sullivan with Austin High School Gang, Eddie
Condon, composers like
Walter Donaldson (mother Irish -- he Scotch-Irish), and the influences in
melting pot music crossovers from Scottish/Irish folk music into early jazz
(Armstrong's "Irish Black Bottom"), and in New Orleans there is a strong
Irish connect as there was a large Irish early immegration to the area and
their musical influence is found in much of  New Orleans jazz.
The Dorseys were of Irish ancestry -- so was arranger-composer Spud Murphy.
A browse thrugh Rusk's listing of musicians in early jazz and big band will
reveal many Celtic names. Even this humble
cornet tooter can trace my paternal lines back to places in Scotland called
Auchendinny and Skye, and maternally to Northern Ireland. We all be a mogrel
breed, we Yanks, but many have Celtic roots and so does our jazz music.
Others can pile on more in this thread, but that's my start.
Don Ingle