[Dixielandjazz] Irish/Celtic Influences in Jazz

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 29 12:36:45 PDT 2004

Hi all,

We've talked on the list before, several times, about different ethnic
groups' contributions to jazz (African-American, Italian, Jewish, Latin,
French etc.).  I don't recall any discussion on Irish/Celtic contributions.

My thought was that in the early days of jazz, the large influx of Irish
immigrants to the U.S. was segregated upon arrival and often competed with
other immigrant groups and American minorities for low-paying, hard-labor
jobs.  This ethnic rivalry was encouraged by business interests to both keep
wages down and frustrate unionizing.  This cultural separation would not
have been conducive to taking up on jazz.  The Irish also brought their own
music with them.  However, this could also be said of Italian and Jewish
immigrants, both of whom made major contributions to jazz.  Irish/Celtic
traditions did have a huge impact on American Country and Bluegrass music.
Anyway, my question is, can anyone think of any early Irish contributors to
jazz?  Perhaps we could discuss Irish contributors to jazz later in the
chronology as well (I would assume Turk Murphy was Irish!).

All the best,
Rob McCallum