[Dixielandjazz] Kids Will Say The Darndest Things

Tom Duncan tduncan at bellatlantic.net
Mon Apr 26 21:45:18 PDT 2004

I thought that many on this list might relate to this email sent by the
pianist and vocalist extraordinaire, Karen Bartholomew. Karen is in my band,
Dr. Dubious & the Agnostics and is a public school music educator in New
Jersey. She writes:

April is Jazz Appreciation Month, so I've been teaching the kids at school
(Kindergarten through 4th Grade) about Jazz History. We did Early Jazz this
past week, and in addition to watching Wynton Marsalis' group play "When The
Saints Go Marching In" on video, I played our version of "Dippermouth Blues"
from the latest demo CD, showing them the picture on the front: "Look right
in the middle and you'll see me." I got responses like,  "You're famous!"
"You're the only girl!" "You're the only one with black hair........You're
only one with ANY hair!"

: )

Tom Duncan