[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ellington & Mood Indigo

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 15 21:25:21 PDT 2004

Hi Bill & Listmates

That is a good question. Maybe he just doesn't carry it around? Or perhaps he wants
to get the audience involved in digging it up and asking questions about it? So
many folks who are "jazz fans" have neither an appreciation for the genius of
Ellington, nor the unique place in history of those 1930 Mood Indigo arrangements,
clarinet low notes, trombone high notes. Pure and beautiful.

The professor is an unabashed Ellington fan as was Stan Kenton.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. I heard Kenny Davern do it live about 2 years ago and was blown away by the
harmony that he used. First low register and then altisimo as only he can. Wow, so
beautiful as to send one back to the woodshed to rethink it,  or to quit entirely
and use the ax for firewood.