[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ellington & Mood Indigo

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Apr 16 09:20:39 PDT 2004

> This is why Gunter Schuller wants the 1930 Ellington recording of Mood
Indigo............ The first two recorded in October are spare and elegantly
simple. For the next version, recorded in December 1930, Ellington adds an
orchestral accompaniment that showcases the poignant solo of trumpeter Arthur
Whetsol and the gentle flowing sound of clarinetist Bigard. (Who co composed the
tune).<

Thanks Steve,
I agree. That certainly sounds like a good enough reason.
However, I wonder why Prof. Schuller doesn't have his own copy.
It has been in my collection since I can't remember. From the days when
everything was on 78s.
Anyone who loves OKOM should have it as a matter of course.
Very kind regards,
Bill.