[Dixielandjazz] Ray Noble with Al Bowlly

Len Nielsen lennielsen at telus.net
Sun Apr 4 22:41:28 PDT 2004

Hi All

It is a quiet evening in Victoria after a beautiful sunny warm spring
day spent in the garden turning soil and planting flowers. A pair of
Bushtits are busy building a nest in a soon to flower, purple lilac
tree. They build a sock like nest which hangs from a twig, is about 8
inches long and has an entrance hole at the top about an inch below
where it is attached to the tree. They are currently using fibre glass
insulation borrowed from an abandoned batt for their renovations. The
female disappears into the nest with her treasure and the whole nest
vibrates and agitates with her industry. I imagine that she is arranging
furniture. :) I only posted this because there seems to be nothing else
discussed on the list at the moment. :)

The tune "Who Walks in When I Walk Out" has been a favorite of mine
since I first heard it on a CD By 'Hot Jam' entitled 'Come and get it'.
The group has John Banker, Jeff Barnhart, Tom Boates and sometimes list
mate Scott Black among others. The tune is excellent and the CD is
excellent and one that I can play any number of times without getting
tired of hearing it. My personal quality test.

I started looking for other versions of the tune and one that I found
was by Al Bowlly and Ray Noble. I didn't expect too much from this
version as I kind of remembered Ray Noble from the fifties as a big band
  leader and the music behind the Edgar Bergen TV show of that time. I
think I had him pegged as a 'Swing and Sway with Sammy Kaye' type. You
know, quality music but not a lot of pizzazz. I was really surprised at
how jazzy and swinging their sound is on this tune. They have many good
solos and the rhythm sections puts out a good strong steady beat
throughout. I have not seen them mentioned on the list and wondered if
there are any fans out there and if so, can you tell us about any other
recordings they made in a jazz mode?

Len Nielsen
Victoria Canada