[Dixielandjazz] Ray Noble with Al Bowlly

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Mon Apr 5 20:35:05 PDT 2004

At 09:41 PM 4/4/2004 -0700, Len Nielsen wrote:
>The tune "Who Walks in When I Walk Out" has been a favorite of mine...
>
>I started looking for other versions of the tune and one that I found
>was by Al Bowlly and Ray Noble. I didn't expect too much from this
>version as I kind of remembered Ray Noble from the fifties as a big band
>  leader and the music behind the Edgar Bergen TV show of that time. I
>think I had him pegged as a 'Swing and Sway with Sammy Kaye' type. You
>know, quality music but not a lot of pizzazz. I was really surprised at
>how jazzy and swinging their sound is on this tune. They have many good
>solos and the rhythm sections puts out a good strong steady beat
>throughout. I have not seen them mentioned on the list and wondered if
>there are any fans out there and if so, can you tell us about any other
>recordings they made in a jazz mode?

I was surprised at the energy of the performance.
I'm a Noble-Bowlly fan, but to date have gone mainly for the early 30s
foxtrots.
"Very thought of you, the", "What more can I ask", etc. This stuff has been
reissued on Vocalion, a budget label with first class sound that Jerry
Brown can supply. Having heard "Who walks in...", one of these days I'll
check out some of the later records.

Ray Noble composed "Cherokee" and wrote the stock arrangement that Count
Basie used...

--Sheik