[Dixielandjazz] Re: Black & Blue

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Tue Sep 30 22:23:52 PDT 2003

Well, Bill you may have caught me here.  I don't think that Fats Waller ever
recorded "Black &  Blue"  and you have affirmed that.  It seems to me that
Fats sang all of his songs with a light, mocking tone.  Franz Jackson never
recorded this tune to my knowledge but we did it together on the job many
times. His approach was  to do it with a slightly brighter tempo and sing it
as kind of a jazz joint humorous tune. Franz did it the way that he
percieved Fats would do it and he seemed to be quite insightful into the
music of Fats Waller.

I think that Louis Armstrong has the hands 'down version' in his Symphony
Hall Concert with Jack Teagarden playing magnificent trombone in the
background.  Louis's vocal is chillingly powerful.

Jim Beebe