[Dixielandjazz] The Blues

Brian Towers briantowers at msn.com
Tue Sep 30 22:06:43 PDT 2003

Tom Wiggins wrote (brief snip)
>it was quite boring last night, however I did enjoy
>getting a look at JB Lenoir and his music.
My worst fears were quickly realized however when they kept switching to
>lame
>shreiking White guys with absolutely no soul or relatable emotion totally
>bastardizing his songs.

Tom Wiggins - I watched the same show and agree with your summation totally-
you took the words right out of my mouth!  The awful things whitey did to
those beautiful folk blues by Lenoir and co.  Those screaming white rockers
just did not get it. They were truly pathetic!

By the way folks, I see the blues and jazz as being closely connected.  I
also believe that, without the blues coming first, there might not have been
any jazz.  Blues, ragtime, gospel, marching bands and popular song - this is
where jazz came from.
When Bessie Smith sings, it is both blues and jazz and I do not see how
anyone can argue with that.   Consider her accompanists, like King Oliver or
Louis or Charlie Green, Clarence Williams etc.  These are jazz musicians
that played the blues.  Louis in particular was full of the blues - pretty
well anything he recorded in the 1920's - listen to what he did with his
recording of  "12th Street Rag" for example - it is perfect blues phrasing.
Too bad the series does not appreciate this close relationship by showing us
some of the very bluesy jazz musicians, like Louis or Johnny Dodds and how
the 12 and 16 bar blues structure became such an important part of jazz.
Hope they include Ethel Waters too.  Also my favourite blues
singer/guitarists - Leadbelly and Big Bill Broonzy.  Some hope!
Cheers,
Brian Towers,
Canada