[Dixielandjazz] DVD regional coding

TBW504 at aol.com TBW504 at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 08:23:42 PDT 2003

Jerry Brown mentions regional coding on DVDs which prevents, ordinarily, DVDs
purchased (much more cheaply) in the States being playable over here in the
UK. As a frequent visitor to the U.S. I enquired of my local Sony dealer about
this. He promptly sold me a Panasonic player already equipped to play DVDs
bought anywhere and assured me that he could and would re-chip any player that
did not have that facility and pointed out that several manufacturers enabled
re-zoning by codes tapped into the remote control. Everything he told me has
proved to be correct, much of it confirmed in technical magazines providing
re-zoning codes. I have since bought  numbers of DVDs - including the full version
of the Ken Burns tv series which includes material not even shown in the
States - all of which play perfecttly. Of course if you want to be intimidated by
money-grabbing manufacturers who try to frighten you off with "infringement of
warranty" warnings ..............
Brian Wood