[Dixielandjazz] "Recording studio" acoustics

George Thurmond gmthur at delrio.com
Wed Sep 24 20:59:31 PDT 2003

        I've been following this thread on the acoustical qualities of the
venues of certain recordings, and finally have decided to air my thoughts on
the sounds captured by Bill Russell of the Bunk Johnson Band in San Jacinto
Hall in N.O. on those hot July and August days in 1944.  The band was
recorded on acetate discs with a single mike setup, and I have been amazed
over all these years at the haunting echo effect caught on them by Russell.
They also have excellent fidelity, especially considering the primitive
recording equipment then available.

        Russell's disc recorder was on display at the Palm Court in N.O.
some years ago - It still may be there.  I was transfixed staring in awe at
this old machine, thinking of its contribution to recorded jazz.  I recall
that San Jacinto Hall at 1422 Dumaine Street had been razed!

Geo. Thurmond