[Dixielandjazz] Re: Columbia's echo

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Thu Sep 25 10:02:04 PDT 2003

Dear Brian,
It may not have done for the BBC old chap.
8>)
However, here in Oz, two medium, private, recording companies I knew personally, (Telefil and W&G) experimented with
'echo' and used for several live sessions respectively, the ladies' toilet and a stairwell.
Both also later (as I recall) had a large 'reverb' room, not unlike your bare-walled chamber.
When it came to jazz reissues, Robert Parker used(s) his special system to change the ambience of pre-recorded vintage
material. Robert and I never saw eye-to-eye (heard ear-to-ear?) about this.
Robert's Spanier 'Big 16' and his Oliver Syncopators reissues come immediately to mind.
Disaster IMO. Now replicated on his CD reissues.
Ace of Hearts in England also ruined perfectly good reissue stuff in the 60s.
Once 'echoed' up, there was no way they could be un-echoed.
Perhaps it was an early form of protecting their material from piracy, although I doubt that they were that worried.
Just well-meaning 'techs' doing what 'techs' do.
In some cases, we 'completists' had no choice at the time but, I for one, have weeded out the offending LPs when better
remastered items came on to the market.
Thank goodness our mate John RT Davies hated these enhancing methods.
He is a true believer in NOT 'meddling' with original material.
Very kind regards,
Bill.