[Dixielandjazz] Re: Columbia's echo

David Palmquist davidpalmquist at dccnet.com
Thu Sep 25 08:29:12 PDT 2003

Sometime in the late 1960's, a high school friend who was taking
electronics showed me a gadget used to create reverberation.  It was
mechanical rather than electronic, I think, and looked to be about the size
of a cigar box.  Inside were several wires, some of which were (oh, boy,
I'm trying to picture this now, 35+ years later) springs - think of coiled
wires similar to a piano string?

He told me that reverb was created by passing the sound signal through
these wires, and I formed the impression the reverb would be created if the
box was shaken.  It seems in retrospect that it is more likely the idea was
that the wires were just of significantly different lengths, the coiling of
some of them beomg to allow a greater length to fit in the box, and there
would therefore be some delay in the transmission of the sound signal
through the longer wires.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that makes any sense at all, because an
electric signal carrying the sound wave would be travelling at the speed of
light, and I can't see even a significant lengh difference making much
difference to the amount of time it takes the signal to carry.

Is anyone familiar with this gadget, and if so, can they explain the
technology?  It seems obvious to me that I haven't got a clue what I'm
talking about.

David in Delta