[Dixielandjazz] METHODS of PIANO TUNING

David Palmquist davidpalmquist at dccnet.com
Wed Sep 17 09:47:17 PDT 2003

My suggestion is to get your piano tuned by a professional about once a
year, and don't place the piano against an outside wall or near a heat source.

A professional tuner will, in my area, charge around $100, but he'll not
only get it playing it in tune, he'll do certain repairs, fixing sticky
keys, replacing worn out strings and hammer felts, etc.  Your piano is
likely worth thousands of dollars, and it makes sense to have it properly
taken care of by someone who knows what he's doing.

A piano is tuned not only by listening for the exact pitch of each note,
most likely with a tuning fork rather than an electronic tuner, but also
playing certain chord patterns sustained, listening for the harmonics as
the sound waves coincide.  A piano tuner's ear is accustomed to listening
for that, and I suspect electronic tuners don't have the ability to pick
out the harmonics (but I am likely wrong)?

In my area there is a piano tuners' guild; there's likely one near your
community, too.

David in Delta